The capital city
Chennai is the capital city of tamilnadu. This district is serves as gateway of culture of south india. Also, this district is well known as capital of tamil speaking state. Chennai has the nick name called “detroit of india”.
Chennai name is a shortened form of chennaipattinam, the name of the town that grew around fort st. George, which was built by the british in 1640. It is famous for carnatic music and bharatanatyam (a classical dance form).
It is the smallest of all the districts in the state, but has the highest human density. The district is a city district which means that it does not have a district headquarters.
Famous persons: chess player viswanath anand, nalli kuppusamy chetty, cricket player krishnamachari srikanth, musician a.r. Rahman,
Main rivers : cooum, adyar are the main rivers.
Canal : buckingham canal
- Fort tondiarpet
Climate: max.37*c and min 20*c
Std code: 044
Railway station: chennai central station and chennai egmore
Bus stand: chennai mofussil bus terminus – koyambedu
Airport: chennai international airport, international flights (anna terminal) and domestic flights (kamaraj terminal)
Education in chennai
Chennai is a hub of educational college, institute. There are many engineering college, management college and professional institute.most colleges that offer engineering programs are affiliated to anna university.
- Kilpauk medical college
- Madras medical college (mmc)
- Sri ramachandra medical college and research institute (srmc)
- Stanley medical college (smc)
- Apollo engineering college
- Arunai engineering college
- Aalim muhammed salegh college of engineering
- Alpha college of engineering
- Anna university
- Indian institute of technology madras
- B.s abdur rahman crescent engineering college
- Bharath institute of higher education & research
- Chennai college of engineering & technology
- Dhaanish ahmed college of engineering
- Shree motilal kanhaiyalal fomra institute of technology
- Madras medical college and research institute
- Stanley hospital
- Siddha medical college
- Institute of thoracic medicine
- Government hospital for thoracic medicine
- Kilpauk medical college
- Arignar anna govt hospital of indian medicine
- Institute of obstetrics and gynaecology and government hospital for women and children
- Chennai medical college
Places to see
The marina beach
The pride of chennai is the second longest beach in the world marinaand has a wide sandy shore. Situated on the beach, are the samadhis or memorials dedicated to c.n.annadurai and m.g.ramachandran, both former chief ministers of the state.
Following the road along elliotthe coast down southward from the marina one reach the elliot’s beach. This long stretch of the coastline has the velankanni church at one end
Vivekananda house & museum
The state government had leased this building sri ramakrishna mission. It is an imposing structure on the marina along the south beach road. It was constructed in 1842 to store ice blocks imported from the usa by the tudor ice company and the business continued until 1874, when the ice began to be produced locally. This is why it is called ice house.
Guindy national park
The deer park, comprising 595 acres, is situated adjacent to raj bhavan. It was originally a part of the governor’s estate. This is the only national park in the world to be situated within a metropolis. Guindyit is botanically the only one of its kind to carry even today, vegetation that is truly representative of the natural thorny scrub jungle of southern dry zone.
Timings:- 8.30 a.m – 5.30 p.m
Entry fee:- adult : rs.5/- child : rs. 2
Phone no:- 22301328
This is situated adjacent to the children’s park within the guindy national park. It houses an impressive collection of snakes. Demonstration of the extraction of venom is an absorbing activity here.
Timings:- 8.30 a.m. To 5.30p.m.
Entry fee:- adult: rs. 5.00/- child: rs. 2.00
Phone no:- 22353623.
Within the limits of the guindy national park is the children’s park. Play for recreation and animal houses sheltering various animals are available. There are a large number of specimens of reptiles and an aviary with different species of birds.
Timings:- 9.00 a.m. To 5.30 p.m.
Phone no:- 22301328
Entry fee:- adult : rs. 2/- child : rs. 1
The birla planetarium, at kotturpuram, is situated between adyar and guindy, is the most modern planetarium in the country.
English programme : 10.45 a.m.,1.15 p.m.and 3.45 p.m.
Tamil programme : 12.30 a.m. And 2.30 p.m.
Phone no:- 24915250.
Entry fees:- adult :rs. 20.00/- child : rs. 10.00
The govt. Museum , national art gallery
The pantheon complex was built before 1789 and was a place of assemblage for the british. The government bought it in 1830 and later several new buildings were added to it. Today this complex houses the government museum, the national art gallery and the connemara public library.
Entry fee:- adult rs.15.00/- child rs.10.00
Timings:- 9.30 a.m. – 5.30 p.m.
Phone no:- 28193238.
This memorial to the immortal tamil valluvarsaint philosopher thiruvalluvar is shaped like a temple chariot and is in fact the replica of the temple chariot in thiruvarur. A life-size statue of the saint has been installed in the 39 metre tall chariot.
Entry fee:- adult rs.3.00
Timings:- 8.00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m.
Phone no:- 28172177.
Fort st. George
Fort st.george occupies pride of place and prominence in chennai. This bastion derived its name form st. George, the patron saint of england. The state legislature and the secretariat are located inside this fort . The st. Mary’s church, the oldest anglican church in india built in 1680 is situated here.
Gudiyam caves (75 kms)
Situated 10 kms from the poondi reservoir at alikuzhi ghats, it is believed to be a pre- historic hominid habitation. There are about 16 rock shelters that are naturally formed like canopy-like structures in the reserved forests. It is the right kind of expedition for trekkers and nature-lovers.
It houses rare exhibits of weapons, uniforms, coins, costumes, medals and other artefacts and memorabilia of the british period. The flagmast at fort st. George is the tallest in india.
Fees:- indians rs.5.00 foreigners: rs. 100/- or 2 us $.
Timings:- 10.00 a.m.- 5.00 p.m.
Phone no:- 25671127
The island ground
This is one of the lungs of this teeming city. It is situated on an island formed by the river cooum. This ground is the venue for trade and tourist fairs that are held periodically and seasonally.
The high court
It has decorative domes and corridors reminiscent of indo saracenic architecture. Adjacent to parry’s corner, it is another prominent landmark of chennai. Built in 1892, the high court of chennai is one of the largest judicial complexes in the world.
In thiruvanmiyur, beyond elliots beach is the kalakshetra foundation or the temple of art. Rukmani devi arundale founded it in 1936. The purpose of this center was to train, encourage and revive interest in bharatanatyam, the classical dance form of tamil nadu. Ph: 24911844.
St. Thomas mount
A top the 76 metre high hill is believed to be the place where st. Thomas was martyred. An old church, built by the portuguese around 1514 is located here.
Among the interesting relics in the church is an old stone cross that the apostle is said to have clutched in his hand while dying.
This huge indo-saracenic building is named after lord ripon, who was the governor general and the father of self-government in india.
This building is the seat of the chennai corporation, the oldest city corporation in india.
Amusement parks around chennai
There are many amusement parks around chennai. They are kishkinta, nearear tambaram little folks, mayajal, mgm dizzyworld and v.g.p. Golden beach on the way to mamallapuram. Dash and splash, and queens land near poonamallee.
- Alkuti- Banks- Address- Code
- Alkusha- Chas nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkod- Devadurga nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkhad- Pansemal nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkuti- Parner nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkhed- Shahada nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkara- Majitha-3 nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkrra- Sehna nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkondanatham- Komaratchi nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkuti- Central Bank Of India
- Alkusa- State Bank Of India
- All about Ariyalur nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Chennai nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All About Coimbatore nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Cuddalore nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Dharmapuri nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Dindigul nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Erode nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Kanchipuram nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Kanniyakumari nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places