It is an important tourist place in tamil nadu with historical monuments, edifices and ancient temples. Earlier the name cuddalore spelt as koodalur (means: confluence in tamil). It is the place of confluence of three rivers namely pennaiyar river, kedilam and paravanar.
The city of cuddalore is the district headquarters. For the first time, urn burial grave goods were found in the village of marungur in the district, carrying inscriptions in tamil brahmi from the 1st century bce.
Tamil, malayalam and telugu are the languages spoken in this district
The cosmic dancer’s place
The well known ancient temple is located in chidambaram, the primary god is lord shiva found in various natya poses. The temple is called as “the cosmic dancer’s place”. The district of cuddalore lies near the east coast of bay of bengal
Climate: summer temperature: 41*c and winter temperature: 20*c
Std code: 04142
Way to in
Railway station: cuddalore port junction (cuddalore old town) and thirupadirippuliyur (near cuddalore new town bus stand.
Bus stand: sh 68, cuddalore
- Pennaiyar river
temples, shrimushnam is one of the 8 vaishnava shrines famous for: temples, shrimushnam is one of the 8 vaishnava shrines
Famous persons: first chief minister of tamil nadu a. Subbarayalu reddiar, writer jayakanthan
- Natrajar temple, chidambaram
- Padaleeswarar temple, cuddalore
- Devanatha swami temple , cuddalore
- Bhuvaraha swami temple, srimushnam
- Anna university tiruchirappali, panruti campus
- Sri jayaram engineering college, cuddalore
- St. Anne’s college of engineering and technology, panruti
- Krishnasamy college of engineering and technology, cuddalore
- M.r.k. Institute of technology, cuddalore
- Annamalai university, chidambaram
- Dr. Navalar nedunchezhiyan college of engineering, cuddalore
- Rajah muthiah medical college, chidambaram
- Rajah muthiah dental college and hospital, chidambaram
- Thiru kolanjiappar government arts college, virudhachalam
- C. Kandasamy naidu college for women, cuddalore
- Govt. Arts college, chidambaram dt
- Periyar arts college, cuddalore
- Thiruvalluvar arts and science college, cuddalore
- B. Padmanabhan jayanthimala arts and science college, cuddalore
- Jawahar science college, neyveli
- Aries arts and science college for women, vadalur taluk
- East india distilleries (sugar factory)
- Ambiga sugar mills, pennadam(sugar factory)
- The aruna sugars ltd at pennadam (sugar factory)
- The south india sugars ltd , mundiambakkam (sugar factory)
- Neyveli lignite corporation (nlc)
- Premier fertilizers ltd (chemical factories)
- Consolidated chemicals india ltd (chemical factories)
It ranks among the most exquisite scenic spot withabundant and varied tourism resources. The backwaters, which are interconnected, by the vellar and coleroon system offer abundant scope for water sports rowing, kayak and canoeing. The pichavaram forest not only offers waterscope and backwater cruises but combine another very rare occurrence- the mangrove forest trees permanently rooted in a few feet of water.
In the above background, the tamil nadu tourism development corporation and the district administration of cuddalore district have proposed to conduct an eco tourism festival namely ” dawn fest ” (vidiyal vizha) at pichavaram. .
The origin of lord nataraja sculptor. The modern sculptor of international repute highly praised form and art and the concept of dive dance of lord nataraja. The secret of chidambaram is yet to be disclosed
The nataraja temple
The temple located in the centre of the town covers an area of 40 acres. It is one of the ancient temples of tamil nadu. The presiding deity of the temple is represented by air, one of the five elements of the universe and is known as akasa lingam.
The natyanjali dance festival at chidambaram brings together all the prominent dancers of india. They offer their abhinaya and their dance to the lord nataraja.
This festival opens on the auspicious occasion of the maha shivaratri day and of course in the right kind of venue, which is the prakara of the chidambaram temple.
Ramalinga swamigal popularly called as vallalar had established sathyagnana sabai. The “thai poosam” function in december-january is an festival of this place. He sung thousands of songs called “thiru arutppa”. This district named after his for sometime.
Famous vishnu sthalam, holy pilgrimage place.
The lignite mines produces power productive units.
These hills are situated 150 kms. Northwest of chidambaram, and spread over an area of 600 sq.kms. These hills offer a temperate climate and quiet solitude. There is a botanical garden on these hills. These hills also have two waterfalls. The area is ideal for those interested intrekking. A summer festival is also held in the month of may every yea
Poompuhar was once the biggest port on the east coast of tamil nadu, and was as its peak of glory under the earlier chola kings. The river kaveri, merging with the billowing sea. Poompuharit was known as puhar due to the exquisite beauty of the port town, and it later came to be called poompuhar.
It was once the site of a danish settlement. Tarangambadi has the remains of the dansborg fort built by ore gedde, a commander of the royal dutch navy, in the 17th century.
Navagraha temples or shrines for nine planets
The nine planets have temples in nine sacred centres. Prayers to planets temples are supposed to ward off bad luck and ensure peace and prosperity.
- Suriyanar koil
- Arcot woodlands hotel ph:230707,230717
- Hotel durai ph:224546, 224646
- Hotel saravanaa ph: 21377
- Hotel suriyapriya ph:233178, 233179
- Jai krishna inn ph:212535
- Akshaya hotel ph:222592
- Hotel palace ph: 238639
- Hotel raja rajan ph: 222690
- Hotel sabanayagam ph: 220896
- Hotel saradha ram ph:221336
- Hotel sri ganesh bhavan ph:222985
- Hotel tamil nadu ph: 238056 to 238060
- Kalyanam bo.& lodg. Ph: 222707
- Ritz hotel ph:223312 to 223314