Erode district lies on the extreme north of tamil nadu, it is blessed with a huge area under forests covers. Approximately 228,750 hectares of land is under dense forest. And it is one of the few fortunate districts in the state which can boost of extensive forest area.
District (previously known as periyar district) is a district in the western part (kongu nadu) of the state of tamil nadu, india
Climate: maximum 96*f and 80*f
Std code: 0424
Railway station: erode junction (near bull fight circle)
Bus stand: erode central bus terminus (near swastik circle) (state highway 15 and mettur road)
• Murugan temple – chennimalai
• Bharaneerwarar temple – sathy
• Magudeeswaran temple – kodumudi
• Periya mariamman temple – erode
• Murugan temple – thindal
• Sivanmalai andavar temple – kangayam
• Sullikaradu temple – nambiyur
• Pachamalai murugan temple – gobi
• Kuppannasami temple – elumathur
• Pariyur kaliamman temple – gobi
• Bannariamman temple – sathy
• Sangameswarar temple – bhavani
• Gurunathasami temple – anthiyur
• Kongu engineering college
• Sri ramanathan engineering college
• Surya engineering college
• Velalar college of engineering and technology
• Bannari amman institute of technology
• Erode sengunthar engineering college
• Institute of road and transport technology
Arts and science colleges
• Erode christian college of arts and science for women
• Gobi arts & science college
• Kaamadhenu arts & science college
• Karuppannan mariappan college
• Sree amman arts and science collge
• Sri vasavi college
• Vasavi college
• Vellakoil arts & science college
Bhavanisagar dam, bhavanisagar
It is also called lower bhavani dam, is located on the bhavani river between mettupalayam and sathyamangalam
The dam is considered to be among the biggest earthen dams in the country. Bhavani sagar dam is constructed on bhavani river, which is merely under the union of moyar river. The dam is used to divert water to the lower bhavani project canal.
There is a garden in front of this dam, which makes it a good picnic spot in this area. There are a few things that children could play with (like swings, etc.) And there is also a small closed channel of water for boating, shown in the below picture. A nice picnic spot for spending a day.
Kodiveri dam, gobichettipalayam
Two channels arise from the dam, one is on the northern side of bhavani river and the other on the southern side viz “arakkan kottai channel” and “thadapalli channel” respectively. Lands north of gobichettipalayam city are fertile due to the flow of the thadapalli channel. Cultivation of sugarcane and paddy are predominant in this area. Kodiveri dam is a popular tourist spot welcoming a large number of people from all over the state.
Periyar memorial house
Thanthai periyar or e. V. R., was a businessman, politician, indian independence and social activist, who started the self-respect movement or the dravidian movement for his memorable house
Vellode bird’s sanctuary, vellode
It is at a large lake surrounded with semi-dark bushes, near vellode. This .772 km2 (0.3 sq mi) sanctuary near erode is home to many foreign birds. The sanctuary features thousands of birds coming from various countries, some of which can be easily identified. Some easily found bird species include cormorants, teals, pintail ducks, pelicans, and darters.
The best time to visit this sanctuary starts from november and continues until march.
Kooduthurai, or mukkoodal is a holy place situated in bhavani urban area near the agglomeration , it is located at a distance of 11km from erode central bus terminus and 15km from erode junction railway station, it is a place where three holy rivers: cauvery, bhavani, and ‘amirtha’ nadhi mingles together. On the banks of kooduthurai, thirunana sri sangameshwarar temple is located.
The museum was opened to the public in 1987. The important exhibits are inscription of kongu chola, hero stones from bargur, tanjore paintings, manuscripts, coins, geological objects, kodumanal antiques and other pre-history items.
It has both botanical and zoological specimens also. The museum is known for its collection of palm-leaf manuscripts and coins
- Mathematician ramanujan
- Social reformer e.v. Ramaswamy periyar
- Singer k. B. Sundarambal
- Freedom fighter dheeran chinnamalai
To know more: http://www.erode.tn.nic.in/
• Hotel le jardin
• Sivaranjani hotel
• Blue diamond hotel
• Hotel iswariyaa