It is an important pilgrim center and tourist destination, famous for its spectacular sunrises and sunsets. The closest major cities are nagercoil, the administrative headquarters of kanyakumari district, (22 km) and thiruvananthapuram, the capital of kerala
Arabian sea, kanyakumari and indian ocean meets near the place, where kanyakumari have located. So, this place is well known as southern most tip of india. Also, kanyakumari is well known tourist place in tamilnadu. Kanyakumari represents as the home for india’s health tradition like siddha, ayurveda and varmakalai.
tambaraparani river, kodayar, paralayar, valliar, thoovalar, pazhayar, pahrali river
This is the second smallest district in tamil nadu after chennai district.
Tamil poet kavimani thesiga vinayagam pillai, fomer governor of reserve bank of india s. Venkitaraman
Climate: maximum 35*c and minimum 21*c
Std code: 04652
Railway station: kanyakumari junction (1 km from central bus stand) nh-7
Bus stand: central and express bus stand, anna stand, christopher bus stand
Airport: trivandrum airport (87 kms from kanyakumari)
- Jayamatha engineering college, aralvoimozhi
- Nooral islam college of engineering kumarakoil
- Udaya engineering college, vellamodi, muttom
- C.s.i. Institute of technology thovalai
- St.xavier’s college of engineering, chunkankadai
- N.v.ks.d.college of education, attoor
- Nooral islam polytechnic, thickanamcode
- Kamaraj polytechnic, pazhavilai
- Govt. Polytechnic, konam, nagercoil
- Udaya polytechnic college
- Sun institute of technology, erachakulam
Mondaikadu bhagavathy amman temple
Mondaikadu is situated on the coast, northeast of colachel port. It is connected with nagercoil and trivandrum by a motorable road.
Peer mohamed dargah, thuckalay (35 kms)
This dargah is named after peer mohamed oliyullah, the great philosopher mohamed appa, who wrote many books on philosophy.
Padmanapuram or the city of lord vishnu is an ancient historical padmanabhapuramtown is situated 45 kms from kanniyakumari.
Timings:- 9.00 a.m to 1.00 p.m. & 2.00 p.m to 4.30 p.m
Phone no:- 04651-250255
Entry fee:- adults : rs.10/-, child : rs.2/-
Video & camera : rs.1200/- & rs.25/-
Suchindram (13 kms)
The sthanumalayan temple here is dedicated to lord shiva, lord vishnu and lord brahma.
Timings:– 4.00 a.m. – 11.45 a.m. 5.00 p.m. – 8.00 p.m.
Though nagaraja or the serpent god is the presiding deity of this temple, the images of lord shiva and ananthakrishna are also enshrined here.
St. Xavier’s church, kottar (nagercoil) (16 kms)
This church dates back to the 15th century a.d. And it is dedicated to st. Francis xavier, a catholic priest who came to india. A 10-day festival from november 24th to december 3rd is held every year.
This is a 1000-year-old temple said to have been built by raja raja chola. The architectural style of the cholas is quite evident in this temple. It is located near railway station.
The legend of this temple is as romantic as the place itself. Dedicated to the virgin goddess kanniyakumari, parvati who stands guard over the country, the temple is built at the spot where the goddess is believed to have waited for her consort lord shiva to come and claim her hand in marriage
Vivekananda memorial was built on the vivekananda rock where the vivekanandacharismatic and philosopher swami vivekananda meditated and transformed himself
The thiruvalluvar statue thiruvalluvar, is the author of thirukkural . Tamils take cognizance of the birth of thiruvalluvar as a basis of the calendarthe magnificent 133-foot height statue denoting the chapters in thirukkural has been opened for tourists visit in the middle of the sea on 1.1.2000 in kanniyakumari.
The gandhi mandapam has been constructed at the spot where theashes gandhiof mahatma gandhi were kept in an urn for public view before a portion of it was immersed into the confluence of the three seas, in 1948
Kamaraj memorial at kanniyakumari
A tribute to the freedom fighter and “perunthalaivar” (meaning great leader) this memorial was constructed where his ashes were kept for public to pay homage before immersion into the sea.
Visiting hours : 07.00a.m to 07.00 p.m. Entrance free.
The museum is situated near the tourist office, beach road, kanniyakumari.
Timings:- 9.30 a.m to 5.00 p.m.
Holiday:- friday and second saturday.
The wandering monk” exhibition
Located in town, the terra cotta design depicting swami vivekananda’s bharat parikrama pictures with description in english, hindi and tamil
Timings:- 8.00 a.m. To 12.00 p.m., 4.00 p.m. To 8.00 p.m.
The vivekanandapuram campus is the headquarters of the vivekananda kendra. It is spread over 100 acres and is a natural spiritual retreat.
It is located at a distance of 1 km from kanniyakumari near the new bus stand on kovalam road.
Timings:- 10.30 a.m. To 8.30 p.m.
It is a water theme amusement park, and it is located 2 kms along the on kanniyakumari-kovalam road. It is very near to sunset point.
Timings:- 10.00 a.m to 7.30 p.m.
Phone no:- 04652-246565, 246563.
Entrance fee:- adults :rs.200/- children :rs.150/-
Vattakottai or the circular fort (6 kms)
A granite fort, 6 kms north-east of kanniyakumari lies on national highway 7, forms the terminal of the ramparts known as the south travancore lines built by king marthanda varma to serve as protection. It is a fine picnic spot.
King marthanda varma built this fort in the 18th century
Thirparappu literally means a pavilion of beauty and sanctity. Thirparapputhe panoramic view of the lord mahadevar temple or (lord shiva) atop green hills and the perennial river kodayar running in front of the shrine is really fascinating and attractive.
Entry fee:- per head rs.2/-
Timings:- 6.30 a.m. To 6.30p.m.
Video and camera fees are rs.75/- and rs.5/- respectively.
This beach is 12 kms from nagercoil and 12 kms from kanniyakumari through west coast road. It is one of the best beaches for holiday lovers
Pechipparai dam (74 kms)
Pechipparai dam from kanniyakumari and 53kms from nagercoil. The weather is very pleasant. It is a fine day excursion centre for touristis.
Sanguthurai beach (15 kms)
It is a beautiful beach that is 13 kms from nagercoil and 15 kms from kanniyakumari through west coast road.
Thekkuruchi beach (29 kms)
Thekkuruchi, a tiny village with lovely, calm seashore lies near the west coast road.
- Hotel Harris, R.V. Puram, Nagercoil Phone no :222681
- Hotel Parvathi International , Court Road, Nagercoil Phone no:233020
- Hotel Ganga Tamil Nadu, Court Road, Nagercoil Phone no:232899
- Hotel Ganga, Alexandra Press Road, Nagercoil Phone no:232599
- Pioneer paradise Tower Junction, Nagercoil Phone no:238541
- Addars Lodge, Vadasery Phone no:276581
- Alkuti- Banks- Address- Code
- Alkusha- Chas nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkod- Devadurga nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkhad- Pansemal nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkuti- Parner nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkhed- Shahada nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkara- Majitha-3 nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkrra- Sehna nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkondanatham- Komaratchi nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- Alkuti- Central Bank Of India
- Alkusa- State Bank Of India
- All about Ariyalur nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Chennai nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All About Coimbatore nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Cuddalore nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Dharmapuri nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Dindigul nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Erode nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Kanchipuram nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places
- All about Kanniyakumari nearby Cities, Stations and Tourist Places