Madurai, the second largest city in Tamil Nadu, it is called with various nick names like Athens of the East, Thoonga Nagaram (City that never Sleeps), Naan maada koodal (City of Four junctions), Malligai Managar (City of Jasmine), Koodal Managar (City of Junction) Koil Nagar (Temple city) etc. The main kingdoms which ruled Madurai during various times are the Pandyas and the Nayaks.
Climate Condition: Max.40*c and Min.26.3*c
Important Tourist Places
Sri Meenakshi – Sundareswarar Temple
Timings : The temple is usually open between 0500hrs and 1230hrs and again between 1600 hrs and 21.30 hrs.
The Meenakshi Temple complex is literally a city – one of the largest of its kind in India and undoubtedly one of the oldest too Lord Siva in his incarnation as Sundareswarar and his fish-eyed spouse, Meenakshi, are enshrined in this twin temple. There are four massive gateways enclosing these two shrines.
the temple is the astonishing structure know as “Ayiramkaal Mandapam” or the Hall of Thousand Pillars and each pillar features high, ornate, bold sculptures that look life like. View from any angle these pillars appear to be in a straight line, an architectural masterpiece indeed In the outermost corridors are situated the matchless musical pillars carved out of stones. When it is tapped, each pillar produces different musical note.
Thirumalai Nayak Palace
Timings : The Palace is open for visitors between 0900hrs and 1300 hrs and again between 1400 hrs and 1700 hrs. Entrance Fee. Rs.1/-
The imposing edifice is famous for the “Stuccowork” on its domes and impressive arches. The Sorgavilasam (Celestial Pavilion), measuring 75m x 52m, constructed entirely of brick and mortar without the support of a single rafter or girder, is a marvel of indo-Saracenic architectural style.
It is located 8 Kms South of Madurai Railway Junction. The temple here is one of the six abodes of Lord Subramanya. Its innermost shrine is cut out of a solid rock.
Temple dedicated to Lord Alagar. The temple is situated on a hill amidst panoramic surroundings. The shrine is know as Alagarkoil and the hill , Solaimalai. The temple also contain some beautiful carvings and makes the visit rewarding. Palamudirsolai, one of the six abodes of Lord Subramaniya is located atop the Hill.
Timings: 1000hrs to 1300 hrs and 1400 hrs to 1730 hrs. (Open all days)
the old Palace of Rani Mangammal, the Gandhi Museum depicts the highlights of the freedom struggle and contains a picture gallery of the Gandhian movement. Also can be seen are a gallery of relics, Khadi and village industries section and South Indian Handicrafts section.
It is a beautiful square tank spread over a huge area of almost 16 acres, located about 5Kms East of Meenakshi Temple. The tank is the scene of the colourful float festival held in January/February to celebrate the birth anniversary of King Thirumalai Nayak, who built this tank. The deities of Meenakshi and Sundareswarar are placed in a float, called “Teppam”, decorated with flowers and illuminated with hundred of lights.Mariamman Teppakulam
The world-renowned Ramakrishna Mutt has a branch in Madurai. Yoga classes are conducted here once a week on Fridays
Timings: Between 6.00 a.m. and 7.00 a.m.
There is a Vishnu Temple located here and it is 20 kms from Madurai and 3 kms from Othakkadi. The main deity of this temple is Kalamega Perumal or Thirumal and his consort Sembagavalli.
This Shiva temple is located 25 kms from Madurai and 5 kms. from Othakkadi. The presiding deities of this temple are Shiva and Parvathi. It is the birthplace of the famous poet Manikkavasagar.
Rajaji Park is a recreation centre maintained by the Madurai Municipal Corporation.
Famous For: Mallippu (Jasmine flower), Paruthi Paal
Famous People From: Actor Vivek, Vadivelu, Politician and Actor Vijayakanth
- Pongal ( Harvest Festival )
- Jallikattu ( Taming the Bull )
- Chithirai Festival
- Festival of Cradle
- Avanimoolam Festival
- Navarathri ( Nine nights ) Festival
- Dance Festival
To know: http://www.madurai.tn.nic.in/
STD Code: 0452
- Madurai (South)
- Madurai (North )
- Sethu Institute of Technology
- Vickram College of Engineering
- Velammal college of Engineering
- Latha Madavan Engineering college
- Raja College of Engineering and Technology
- KLN College of Information Technology
- PTR College of Engineering
- N.M.S.S. Vellachami Nadar College, Madurai
- R.L. Institute of Management Studies, Madurai
- K.L.N. College of Engineering, Madurai
- The American College (Autonomous), Madurai
- Sourashtra College, Madurai
- Fatima College (Autonomous), Madurai
- Tamilnadu Polytechnic College
- Thangam Muthu Polytechnic College
- Latha Mathavan Polytechnic College
- M.A.V.M.M. Polytechnic College
- Varaha Nadi
Railway Station: Madurai Junction Railway Station, West Veli Street (Near Meenakshi Bazaar)
Bus Stand: Mattuthavani, Arappalyam, Palanganatham, Anna Bus Stand and Periyar Bus Stand
Airport: Madurai Airport (12 kms from city)
- Best Western Germanus Days Inn Tel.: 2382001
- Fortune Pandian Hotel Near Outpost, Azhagar Kovil Road Tel.: 4356789
- GRT Regency Palanganatham Signal Junction, Madurai – 3 Tel.: 2371155
- Hotel Aarathy Tel.: 2331572, 2336343
- Hotel Alavai Tel.: 2340551
- Hotel Chentoor Tel.: 3077777
- Hotel Duke West Veli Street, Near General Post Office Tel.: 2341154